Smoke inhalation is the suspected cause of death of an elderly Anna man after a Wednesday night house fire. Anna Fire Department Chief Mike Stoner says a fire started in home of 72-year-old Larry Abernathy at about 9:10 p.m. A fire crew responded to 304 Wilson St. to battle flames in the living room and remove Abernathy. He was found dead with no burns on his body, and Stoner suspects the man, who lived alone, died from smoke inhalation. An autopsy is pending. Heat and smoke caused further damage to the home, and the cause of the fire has yet to be determined by the Illinois State Fire Marshal's Office.
Return to: Local News Blog